After a week on The Yacht Week, we made our way back en route to complete our ultimate Euro Trip!
Croatia itself is such a long country. It runs along the coast and the weather can be completely different in one area than the other – specifically, and obviously, between the southern and northern parts of the country. After a mostly sun-kissed week, we nervously watched the temperature drop as we drove up the mountains to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park.
Get ready to be awed by the most amazingly beautiful views, water, greenery…basically the closest thing I’ve seen to a fairytale land in real life 😍😍😍 Even on a cloudy day.
Click here to get a glimpse of the falls on our trip (fast forward to 1:32 😉 )
Finally made it to the bottom of the Big Waterfall!! This thing is so grand, it was impossible to get a picture of the whole waterfall from top to bottom with my camera. Again, more mist…but quite relaxing even with so many people around.
Croatia has been great so far…and yes, it is on my list of places to visit again ❤
- Go straight to Entrance 2. Skip Entrance 1…it’s ridiculously busy and the line is loooooong. But either entrance you start your at will be jaw-dropping. Really just depends on how much time you have. Plus, you can also buy your tickets at Entrance 2. Waiting 20 minutes to get tickets beats an hour or longer wait at Entrance 1.
- Go for more than a day. If you get the chance, go for at least two days. Explore one side of the park one day and the other day the next. There’s just so much to see and, sure, one day will fill your heart, but two days…ahhhh.
- Big Waterfall is life. If you must prioritize, go straight to the Big Waterfall. It’s breathtaking! Plus, the path in that area of the park has more of a “magical” feel to it than the other parts of the path throughout the park.
- Don’t go after being on a boat for a week…if you get seasick. 🤣 I am the prime example of this. I wish we could have spent more time climbing up the mountains instead of slowly making our way down to ensure I didn’t tumble down. Argh. The adventurer heart in me was just…💔💔💔
- Get there early!! This should probably be the No. 1 tip. We were held up in unexpected traffic coming from Split.
- Be prepared for cooler weather. Because it’s on higher elevation, the weather is cooler. So a cloudy day in the middle of summer can be chillier than expected.
- Go on a row boat! I wish I would have known that this was an option…and that we would have had more time. But this would be everything on a day with clear skies and the sun shining. Can you imagine what that water looks like?!
- Take food with you…or buy some snacks on the way out. The food inside is a bit pricey and not anything special. Either eat before, bring lunch, or buy some fresh fruit on your way out at one of the stands (near Entrance 1) before heading towards a restaurant. Tip: the stands only take cash!
Have you visited Plitvice Lakes National Park? Share your favorite spots an tips in the comments…